I did it again. I woke up in the middle of the night, eyes wide open.
“Damn, I didn’t post!”
But, Tuesday hasn’t technically started for me, even though its 3:00am, so I can write now and it will still count for yesterday. It’s still Monday night, right? I mean, I didn’t mean to fall asleep, I had plans to write.
Then I starting thinking how late I’ll be if I woke up now and became functional, only to go back to sleep for two hours until my work alarm goes off. So I got up, turned the TV off, lights off and hit the shower. Better to get ahead of the game, plus I do some of my best thinking in the shower; except that I usually get on a mental “roll” in there and forget what I was going to write by the time I’m done. I started thinking that I should keep a recorder outside of the tub in case I have any ideas that are earth shattering. Then, because it’s 3am, I came up with a silly line about I can make a joke about those plastic flute-like recorders 4th graders get, and how that wouldn’t help my blog writing. Sure glad I didn’t use that one. Whew.
But really, I’m sure I’m not alone in the incessant excuse making. I don’t think I use them when it comes to others, pretty much just for myself. I’m a selfish excuse maker. Here are some of the best I’ve come up with in the last week.
- I’m not going to the gym. Those people who never go and make a New Year’s resolution go and it gets too crowded.
- I’ve gained a few pounds. It’s probably because I’m stressed at work or my metabolism is starting to slow down at 28. It can’t be because I’ve been on a cookie diet since Christmas.
- (To my husband) Yes, I saw the apples went bad. Why didn’t YOU eat them? I didn’t eat them because I didn’t want leave you without any. (Ok, so maybe I’m not so selfish with myexcuses after all.)
- I had to buy those boots, because they sent me a $10 coupon and then there was another sale ad for 20% off. It would be like wasting money if I didn’t use them.
- I know we just bought the Girl Scout cookies, but if we don’t eat them it’ll be like the tragedy of 2011, when we forgot about a box of shortbreads on top of the fridge and they got stale. (Reference second excuse here)
At least I’m not murdering people or doing harm to others with my excuses. They are really harmless. Oh man, I just tried to validate my excuses.